Important Info: new user registration

General Discussions about Blockout.

Herc

Important Info: new user registration

Post by Herc »

Dear blockout fans,

if you want to register to the forum, please note that you need me to send an email, so i can manually create you an account.
Online registration is disabled because of spam bots.
Please also write me your preferred nickname / pseudonym.

Instructions:

Renato

Re: Important Info: new user registration

Post by Renato »

Hello Herc,

Good thing to block the spam.
I already registered myself a long time ago, is it still necessary to mail you?

Keep on playing :lol:

Renato
ilw2

Post by ilw2 »

I had a great desire to register, so I found this topic, but "Instructions" shows an image that is not working.

I tried to register with one email and received nothing,
After that I registered on the forum using another email on gmail.com, entered not so easy captcha and then I got an email that admin should approve it.

I wait for 10 days and began to search someone's email to write them to manually approve my account. I can't see anyone's email on forum.
Fortunately I've been able to find someone's email on github, I wrote him and he adviced me to replay that auto-generated email about activation.

I'd say that looks like an extremely difficult quest for newcomers who wish to register on your forum.

BTW: my experience being admin on another phpbb forum against spam:
I allowed registration with simple captcha, but denied to make posts containing "http://" or "https://" for unapproved members.
I got tons of spambot accounts, but they was not able to post anything. That resolved 99% of problems with spam. They just have no reason to post anything without links.
In addition I added simple script that deletes members with 0 messages who contains hrefs in their profiles.
Herc

Post by Herc »

hey ilw2, thanks for your feedback. good ideas about configuring phpbb as you suggest, blocking first posts containing links..

i just updated the forum and hope to find some time to ease the login-process.
Herc

Post by Herc »

Please note that - for now - i completely disabled registration. Say thank you to spammers that made my email-adress blacklisted because of registration attempts with fake email-adresses and whatnot.

If you want an account, please simply send me a short email to post [at] andre-krause.net .