BlockOut2 online with points upload

Discuss about Blockout II from Jean-Luc, post your feature requests etc.
MagI

BlockOut2 online with points upload

Post by MagI »

-

Can BlockOut2 be converted to an online browser game,
so that it can get more people to play and upload their points to same global ranking lists and maybe add by countries and so on ?

MagI

--
SideWinder

Re: BlockOut2 online with points upload

Post by SideWinder »

Are you going to post that in every forum on here? Let's stay at one thread... http://www.blockout.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2967
amit

Post by amit »

I would love to see Blockout as a online game in Facebook giving people the option to share. It can make the game go viral and get more players especially from India

If Blockout gets more popular out here in India, we can get some extraordinary Blockout players out here
MagI

Post by MagI »

amit wrote:I would love to see Blockout as a online game in Facebook giving people the option to share. It can make the game go viral and get more players especially from India

If Blockout gets more popular out here in India, we can get some extraordinary Blockout players out here

Yes. :)

Sound greate....

I bet you can earn some money if that is set up at facebook.

There must be a way to get people interested in this as in Tetris.

Tetris have had some big contests so why not with BlockOut???

MagI
amit

Post by amit »

MagI wrote:
amit wrote:I would love to see Blockout as a online game in Facebook giving people the option to share. It can make the game go viral and get more players especially from India

Yes. :)

Sound greate....

I bet you can earn some money if that is set up at facebook.

There must be a way to get people interested in this as in Tetris.

Tetris have had some big contests so why not with BlockOut???

MagI
There used to be Blockout world championship till 2007 using the old DOS version of Blockout made by California dreams. Their website blockout.de still exists

But there should be some online world championship of Blockout where people can play sitting in their homes and their game can be seen by others through screen capture
MagI

Post by MagI »

amit wrote:
There used to be Blockout world championship till 2007 using the old DOS version of Blockout made by California dreams. Their website blockout.de still exists

But there should be some online world championship of Blockout where people can play sitting in their homes and their game can be seen by others through screen capture

Yes.
I really want to see that.
Can someone set it up on GitHub or anywhere so we all can see, and help, with this BlockOut online version?

Lets do this.....

MagI
MagI

Post by MagI »

Hi.

I have upload the BlockOut2 files on GitHub now.
Can anyone help me set this code up somewhere online so we can make this code work online in browsers and to also upload points to a online database for ranking.
I want to make this able to run in FaceBook and everywhere, so that we get more players and global ranking of them and with countries and maybe cities of players?

https://github.com/jlivingstonsg/BlockOut2

MagI
MagI

Post by MagI »

Hello.

I have managed to upload the C++ code in a online editor.

Here you can look at the code.

https://repl.it/@jlivingstonsg/BLSRC

To run this C++ game go to folder
"BL_SRC"
and then folder
"BlockOut"
and then find and mark file
"BlockOut.cpp"
and click button
"run"
in the top with green letters.

Can we try to work together to make a online version og BlockOut2 with a online global score ranking database?

There is now 17 errors when it is run and there seem to be these missing files.
SDL.h
SDL_opengl.h

MagI
SideWinder

Post by SideWinder »

I'm myself a software developer and can tell you that it's not going to be simple to transform this SDL-based program into a web application. Or in other words: the GFX-part will probably need to be completely rewritten. Don't want to be the bad guy here, but without a good web game developer who has also knowledge of old SDL-based applications this is not going to have a chance.

Still, all the best,
D.R.
MagI

Post by MagI »

SideWinder wrote:I'm myself a software developer and can tell you that it's not going to be simple to transform this SDL-based program into a web application. Or in other words: the GFX-part will probably need to be completely rewritten. Don't want to be the bad guy here, but without a good web game developer who has also knowledge of old SDL-based applications this is not going to have a chance.

Still, all the best,
D.R.
Its what I needed to hear I guess. :)
Thanks.

I still think it would be nice to be able to compile it in that inline editor and get a .exe program to run BlockOut2 if it is possible.
It would give people a chance to see the code of BlockOut2 and maybe update and make it better.

Can we try to make it compile to a program?

Is that hard?

I believe that someone have made a version of BlockOut in JavaScript.
I will try to find it and set that up in an online editor / compiler and that would be possible to code a global online score database.
Or is it ?????

Regards MagI