High Score Filtering and Start Level

Discuss about Blockout II from Jean-Luc, post your feature requests etc.
Andy The G

High Score Filtering and Start Level

Post by Andy The G »

Hi ... Just a thought you might consider.

Can the Score Database be modified to either a) add a filter based on the Start Level; or b) add a separate listing for games which were started from Level 0 (with separate list for all other start levels) ?

I think there are a number of arguments for suggesting this. Up until recently I\'ve always played games from Level 0, although I\'ve never progressed much beyond a 60-odd thousand (3D Mania) score using this strategy. Over the last few days I\'ve had time to experiment with different Starting Levels, and am now scoring in the 80-odd thousands. While I\'m happy to have moved up in my results, it seems to me that this was not the way the game was intended to be played (or at least the California Dreams version that I started playing on my first \'286 pc).

Looking randomly through the (3D Mania) high scores, there are no really high scores that were started from scratch (Level 0). The high scores are quite mind boggling, but isn\'t it a bit warped to be starting a game near the end of the levels - just to get an incredibly high score ?

There are a finite number of blocks that can be played before the speed of the game, and reaction-time, becomes the controlling factor rather than any spatial abilities.

I\'d be interested in seeing what the score tables looked like for the games that began with Level 0.

AD
fredjust

Re:High Score Filtering and Start Level

Post by fredjust »

see my score after 2 try :
120000 with start on level 0

> but isn\'t it a bit warped to be starting a game
> near the end of the levels -
> just to get an incredibly high score ?

not for me it\'s the goal of all the game : do the best score

see this page Scoring Explained

When i played tetris on the fisrt GameBoy (1990)
I started on level 9

Post edited by: fredjust, at: 2010/06/08 14:59

Post edited by: fredjust, at: 2010/06/08 14:59<br><br>Post edited by: fredjust, at: 2010/06/08 15:00
Andy The G

Post by Andy The G »

>see my score after 2 try :120000 with start on level 0
>not for me it\'s the goal of all the game : do the best score

Impressive score - I can see that I need to work on my game.

I\'m not suggesting that the game shouldn\'t be played that way, or that the scores shouldn\'t be tallied.

I was just curious how the score tables would look based on the starting level.

AD
Azeret

Post by Azeret »

I understand what you mean. It would be interesting to categorize the score database so any user could see what he is interested in.

On the other hand, I think the scoring is set well. You can choose what level you want to start. It\'s easier to start at lower level, but you are paid better when you start at higher speed. The same principle is about finishing more layers (lines) at once: It\'s easier to finish them one by one, but when you finish 3 at once you get more points than you get for 3 single layers. It seems fair to me. :)

Tereza