upload score

Discuss about Blockout II from Jean-Luc, post your feature requests etc.
sal_paradise

upload score

Post by sal_paradise »

Hi Blockout fans,

I\'m using the linux version of BLII (2.3) and I wonder how to upload the scores to the online database. If I enter the score details page for a particular score, there is no way to do anything than \"try to beat\", no \"replay\", no \"upload\" ...

Sal
Herc

Re:upload score

Post by Herc »

where did you get the linux version from?

it could be that - if you have compiled it by yourself - you dont have the special code section that encrypts and protects the highscore.

thats because the programmer jean-luc-pons keeps this section of code private, to avoid manipulations.
sal_paradise

Post by sal_paradise »

It was included in my distribution (suse 10.3), so I did not compile it by myself.

Any workaraound? Is there another way to upload the scores? Maybe I could download the windows version and transfer my settings?
Herc

Post by Herc »

sorry for my late reply!

please first try to use the linux binaries provided under \"Download\" - they are compiled by the original author jean luc pons and should contain the network highscore uploading stuff.

if that does not help, maybe try the new wine with the windows binaries. i am very positive that blockout II might run under wine emulator.

and - very interesting! it is included in suse 10.3 ? is it the OpenSuse thing? or did you buy a CD package ?
sal_paradise

Post by sal_paradise »

Finally I could solve the problem with your help. The problem was that the executable was stored in /usr/... directory. If I start the program as a normal user, of course it has not the right to write anything into that directory. I would expect that it stores it\'s files in my home directory instead, but it didn\'t. This is maybe a cosmetic glitch and should be fixed. The workaround was to move all the blockout files into my home directory, and then the program did create a hidden dir (.bl2) and stored all the replay files. Unfortunatly all my previous scores are not lost, but not replayable, so I need to make some extraordinary scores again if I wish to upload and get famous ;-)

I\'m not sure where the rpm did come from, if not from the original opensuse repo, then from packman or another online repo one can find still completely configured in suse\'s yast. In fact, once I\'ve tried to search for \"blockout\" in Yast, without big hope, but found this fantastic blockout2 then. So I wish to say thank you to the author! And, of course, to you, too, for your help here in the forum.<br><br>Post edited by: sal_paradise, at: 2007/11/13 18:37