Forum and Website Update necessary - suggestions ?

General Discussions about Blockout.

Herc

Forum and Website Update necessary - suggestions ?

Post by Herc »

dear humble long time blockout fans and forum users,

it is time to update the website.
the base system is an outdated joomla installation, that is probably to much effort to update.

my idea would be to move to separate components for the forum, wiki and keep a simple website based on the template used on the BlockoutII homepage.

or maybe a simple to maintain wordpress-based page.

any suggestions / preferences for a new forum ?

where should we move the wiki ?

any ideas are appreciated !

--
for now i have disabled new user registration, to avoid the ongoing spamming of the forum.
jlp_38

Re:Forum and Website Update necessary - suggestions ?

Post by jlp_38 »

hi herc :)

I looked at the new joomla software and that\'s true that there is much differences with our current installation. I don\'t know if it will be possible to install a fresh release of the FireBoard plugin and keep the forum history. I remember that i also made patches in the FireBoard plugin to fix user management issues between joomla and FireBoard.

To prevent forum spamming, I think the best way is to upgrade joomla and try to keep the present fireboard install. Recent release of joomla offers much more options for the user registration which should help us a lot to avoid fake users...

I won\'t have time this week but the next week ,if you want, i can help you to install a new joomla release...
Herc

Re:Forum and Website Update necessary - suggestions ?

Post by Herc »

Hey JeanLuc, thats true - its important to keep the humble user base.
I will try an update of the website using a local copy. Hopefully it will not be too much trouble. the Wiki probbably has to move, because as i remember it was not developed further.

will try this the next few day, will report results end of week.
Herc

Re: Forum and Website Update necessary - suggestions ?

Post by Herc »

after quite some struggeling, i managed to convert the old and outdated fireboard to the widely used phpBB. This will in the future hopefully enable a long lived forum with frequent security updates and little to no spamming.
Herc

Re: Forum and Website Update necessary - suggestions ?

Post by Herc »

information for new forum - users: your very first post will show up with a little delay after manual administrator approval.
i will do that and check the forum on a daily basis.
this minor annoyance sadly is necessary to avoid any further spamming of the forum by those annoying spambots.