List of Websites that know about Blockout II

Discuss about Blockout II from Jean-Luc, post your feature requests etc.
Herc

List of Websites that know about Blockout II

Post by Herc »

dear Jean Luc, i have posted your game for \"image of the day\" at gamedev.net.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=455588

you should check by from time to time, it might be that some other developers ask you questions about your game.<br><br>Post edited by: Herc, at: 2007/07/15 21:26
Herc

Re:Image of the Day @ www.gamedev.net

Post by Herc »

i have added blockout to wikipedias list of freeware games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freeware_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockout_II

anyone interested in editing and adding stuff to the blockoutII wiki page? i have not much time currently..

also, i would suggest that we add to this thread all pages where we have made blockoutII public.
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

Thank you very much Herc :)

I think, it would be better to wait I end the release 2.3 before adding the BlockOut II article on WikiPedia. There will be graphics improvement which should produce more \'fashion\' screenshots.
Herc

Post by Herc »

no problem - the article i wrote was deleted anyway. seems as they are very picky about what they call \"blatant selfpromotion\"....

i will rewrite as you suggest after your 2.3 release.
what do you plan regarding graphics enhancements?
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

I would like to make several game style:

Nostalgia: As today
Marble: Marble textured pit and block
Rounded: Rounded block (Not sure)
Modern: Modern texture

Effect on blocked rotation (including spark
as collision point) already done

When GAME OVER, Make an animation of the pit.
Camera will rotate around the pit.

And other things....
Herc

Post by Herc »

cool ! what i would like to see the most are different palettes. i.e. not only the 16 colour dos palette, but also palettes as with amiga blockout, lynx blockout or such (check the wiki - some screenshots should show up the different colours used in the different blockout versions). ah and i forgot to send you the original wav files.. check your email.

marble: hmm, i am sceptic, if this will help the game. but as an option it will be nice for sure!

rounded: that will be difficoult i think... would be cool if you find a solution (not the straightforward solution of just concatenating rounded cubes, but real edge rounding - that would be interesting)

i am still a bit interested in partly transparent pieces :-) sure, this would make the game easier... but what about a score multiplier of lets say normal_score*0.8 ? anyway, i think transparent pieces would require z-sorting, that could slow down considerably...
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

cool ! what i would like to see the most are different palettes. i.e. not only the 16 colour dos palette, but also palettes as with amiga blockout, lynx blockout or such (check the wiki - some screenshots should show up the different colours used in the different blockout versions).
OK, i will add other palette, that shouldn\'t be too difficult.
marble: hmm, i am sceptic, if this will help the game. but as an option it will be nice for sure!
Yes, i would like to have several selectable look and feel.

Here a preview of the marble style. Let me know what do you think...
rounded: that will be difficoult i think... would be cool if you find a solution (not the straightforward solution of just concatenating rounded cubes, but real edge rounding - that would be interesting)
Yes i didn\'t find yet a solution, but i would like to have a real edge rounding.
i am still a bit interested in partly transparent pieces sure, this would make the game easier... but what about a score multiplier of lets say normal_score*0.8 ? anyway, i think transparent pieces would require z-sorting, that could slow down considerably...
z-sorting is already done in the current release (it doesn\'t use a zbuffer). But what do you mean exactly, would you like to have transparent layers or a small pit representation a the bottom left of the screen showing layer structure ?
Herc

Post by Herc »

i must say your marbe texture is really nice! i was a bit afraid that it would look as for example in Feitrix (http://www.blockout.net/index.php?optio ... id=feitrix) where it is hard to tell the depth. but with the black lines still there the texture is a nice addition.

regarding transparency: yes, i am curious how it would look like if the layers in the pit itself were a bit transparent (alpha value of 0.7 maybe?), such that one could still see a hole , that was covered by a landed piece. or if this transparency would make things more confusing. a bit as in blockout millenium, where the highest layers seems to be partially transparent.

the preview of the layer structure in the left corner is another thing, but i think thats not so important.
fredjust

Post by fredjust »

> but what about a score multiplier of lets say normal_score*0.8 ?

I like this idea
for beginer add option but with points * 0.xxx

- show hole after drop (*0.9)
- show drop aera (like in 8K block out) (*0.9)
- show hole before drop (*0.8)
- show mirror piece with different color (*0.8)
- show next piece (*0.7)

if you use all option :
score *0.9*0.9*0.8*0.8*0.7 = score * 0.36 !!!

like this beginer can play easily
because block out is very hard for beginer<br><br>Post edited by: fredjust, at: 2007/07/16 18:27
Herc

Post by Herc »

@fred: very cool ideas! yes, ghost/mirror piece that shows position where the current piece will land would be great!

but i disagree with your \"next piece\" multiplier: actually, you are then punishing strategic gameplay. i think next piece option should not be punished. it is up to you to use the next piece information. in fact, i would say next piece should be always there, not as an option! in normal 2d tetris, next piece is standard for years now. and it is important for strategic, think-ahead gameplay.
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

Hi,

Concerning the \"next piece\", I agree with Fred, In the classic blockout,
you don\'t have it. So I agree to add it but with a score multiplier.

Concerning transparent layers, i will make few test to see if it doesn\'t
confuse too much rather than helping.

I\'ll keep you informed. If you have any ideas, screenshots even images
concerning new look and feels, do not hesitate to post them. :cheer:

Go back in C++...
Herc

Post by Herc »

some textures, that might look good:

seamless silver texture:
http://www.pixelpoke.com/images/silver.jpg

an absolute incredible collection of seamless textures:

http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/browse.htm

salt:
http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/cry ... s/Salt.jpg

its hard to tell which textures might look good on blockout pieces - i think we should try out a lot.