wish list

Discuss about Blockout II from Jean-Luc, post your feature requests etc.
Herc

wish list

Post by Herc »

* on keypress, please abort the intro-animation. its really nice, but i would like to jump into the game directly.
* (minor) instead of transparency on/off , make it a gradual slider as with rotation speed.
jlp_38

Re:wish list

Post by jlp_38 »

No Problem, I\'ll add this in the new release.
Herc

Post by Herc »

another thing would be nice for the \"score details\" display: the number of complete empty pits i.e. the number of achieved \"bravos\" or \"blockouts\".
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

OK for the number of empty pit.
The number of \"blockouts\" can be deduced from the configuration and the number of n-line. But OK i can add a line to display it.
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

Yes, a player has already asked me this.
I\'ll implement this in the new release.
Anyway, i\'m still working on online scoring. The transmission protocol is OK. I\'m starting with the database stuff. B)
Herc

Post by Herc »

yeah cool stuff! looking forward for online highscores! this will rock!

here some more ideas:

* different sound effects if one deletes 1, 2, 3 or even 4 layers. i could email you the original blockout sound effects as wav for that, if you wish.

* for complete empty pit, i.e. a blockout or bravo, maybe play the original voice from the arcade version that says \"blockout\" ?

* the java blockout clone from nerius landys has a nice blending effect after dropping a block ( http://grafx.sourceforge.net/blockoutdemo/index.html )

* this java clone also has a quite cool animation effect: if one tries to rotate the piece but it is blocked, the piece \"bounces\" a bit into the blocking wall or obstacle by a small rotation of about 10° and then rotates back.

* 3D Tetris for the virtual boy shows on the right side not only the layer (colors), but also the layer structure. i.e. if you have a hole in one layer and you accidently put another block on top of that, you can see that in the layer view. (just look in the wiki for screenshots)

* 50% transparent last layer so you can see where holes were left...

just some random ideas, nothing really important.
Herc

Post by Herc »

regarding release 2.2:

wish: after a game is finished, you are presented the highscore dialog and can enter your name. after finishing the name-input, i would like to see instead the \"Hall of Fame\" directly the \"Score Details\" menu.

why? because 1. i directly want to see how i played, 2. i can immideately upload my highscore

ok, you can argue that i just have to press enter to see the \"Score Details\", but i got an email from someone who didnt even know about score details and thus also didnt find out how to upload his score.
(@JeanLuc: i have forwarded you the email)
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

* different sound effects if one deletes 1, 2, 3 or even 4 layers. i could email you the original blockout sound effects as wav for that, if you wish.
Yes it could be nice. I would appreciate that you send me the files :cheer:
* for complete empty pit, i.e. a blockout or bravo, maybe play the original voice from the arcade version that says \"blockout\" ?
Why not ?
* the java blockout clone from nerius landys has a nice blending effect after dropping a block ( http://grafx.sourceforge.net/blockoutdemo/index.html )
I checked this, and it was cool :) . I\'ll add
this in the new release. May be an FX a bit
faster...
* this java clone also has a quite cool animation effect: if one tries to rotate the piece but it is blocked, the piece \"bounces\" a bit into the blocking wall or obstacle by a small rotation of about 10° and then rotates back.
Yes, if i remember well, the arcade version
of blockout had also this effect, even with
a little spark at the collision point.
I\'ll try to add this in the new release.
* 3D Tetris for the virtual boy shows on the right side not only the layer (colors), but also the layer structure. i.e. if you have a hole in one layer and you accidently put another block on top of that, you can see that in the layer view. (just look in the wiki for screenshots)
* 50% transparent last layer so you can see where holes were left...
It will make the game easier, and i would like
to preserve the original game behavior.
Remember the hole location belongs to the game.
wish: after a game is finished, you are presented the highscore dialog and can enter your name. after finishing the name-input, i would like to see instead the \"Hall of Fame\" directly the \"Score Details\" menu.
OK
Herc

Post by Herc »

ugh, i have flooded you a bit with feature requests ;-)

and here comes the next:

wow,
Renato made 94277 2007-07-12

in 3x3x6 extended. unbelievable. how did you do that?

@JeanLuc: this brings an idea to my mind for the online highscore database:

what about displaying an extra list showing the newest scores sorted by date for all configurations?
the way it is at the moment, no one would notice such a great highscore.

but with a \"recent highscores\" list, one would easily detect such highscores. and then make it clickable such that one gets to the for example 3x3x6 list.
Herc

Post by Herc »

wish: please make the recent highscores list easily linkable, i.e. instead

http://www.blockout.net/blockout2/score ... th=*&rank=*

this link:

www.blockout.net/blockout2/scoredate.php

without arguments should work too. that would be more future proof, because i added the first link to wikipedia, and if you ever change the arguments, it would be broken. you should use default arguments if no arguments are supplied.<br><br>Post edited by: Herc, at: 2007/07/15 21:50
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

@Fred: OK. It was planned.

@Herc: Done.
Herc

Post by Herc »

wish: fastforward by pressing space while watching a replay .. maybe 3-4x the normal speed ?

hmm - maybe its too complicated... ? again, nothing important, just a small thing.<br><br>Post edited by: Herc, at: 2007/07/20 03:22
fredjust

Post by fredjust »

And for replay there are a fun thing :

- run a replay (full screen)
- press ALT TAB
- wait one ot two minutes
- return to BlockOut

and see the replay go very fast