Bug Reports go here

Discuss about Blockout II from Jean-Luc, post your feature requests etc.
Herc

Bug Reports go here

Post by Herc »

i will start with a bug report:

BlockoutII release 2.2:

i have installed in a custom directory ( c:/s/blockout2 ) and it reports:

\"cannot open replay.. for writing\"

Post edited by: Herc, at: 2007/07/12 01:40<br><br>Post edited by: Herc, at: 2007/07/12 01:40
jlp_38

Re:Bug Reports go here

Post by jlp_38 »

Ok, i found the bug. It is because the sub directory creation of \"Install_path/replay\" is missed when you download a remote replay.:angry:
So create by hand this new folder or make a high score in your local \"Hall of Fame\". This will
create the directory.
I\'ll upload a new release ASAP.
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

Hi,

As you may noticed there is a bug with the FLAT block set. It produces always the same sequence of block (Thanks to John VdC). It is due to the fact that the FLAT set has 8 pieces (=2^3 and it is catastrophic for LCG random generator). It does not happens with BASIC and EXTENDED.

It would be fine to reset the score database for FLAT mode when the release 2.3 will be out. What do you think ?

Anyway, The randow generator will be rewritten. It will follow the \'bag model\' in order to reduce the probality to get n times the same block.
Herc

Post by Herc »

i personally think its totally ok, as there are just a few scores yet in the highscores list.
fredjust

Post by fredjust »

yes clear score

but players can send it again, no ?
you check the num version ?
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

Yes the version number is checked and user who will try to upload a score made with an older release will receive a clear message, for instance:
\"Sorry, score made with the 2.2 cannot be uploaded\" or something like that.

So the cleaning of the database should not be a problem.
JohnVdC

Post by JohnVdC »

Scores should really be cleaned up, unless you want a 220K+ highscore to remain there for a long long time. I know my score wasn\'t that high, but I\'m very confident it could be done.

J.
Herc

Post by Herc »

hy JohnVdc, welcome to the forum! another blockout fan :-)

whats your history regarding blockout? did you play the original DOS-version from 1989 ?

@jean-luc: another bug report, this time from a tetris-concept user:

\"(Edit) re: BlockOut II - No joy... unfortunately the game crashes/locks up Windows hard as a rock on both my W98SE PCs\"

seems as blockout II does not run under windows 98?
thread:
http://www.tetrisconcept.com/forum/view ... 0401#10401

i know, it will be hard to test under windows 98... but maybe its possible using virtual pc or vmware... i think win98 support would be nice, but not really as important as other things.<br><br>Post edited by: Herc, at: 2007/07/19 20:40
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

Hi,

Welcome John, and congratulations for your
score in OOC.

@Herc:
Damn ! I\'ve just formated an old hard disk where there was a Win98. I will see if i can reinstall it... :S<br><br>Post edited by: jlp_38, at: 2007/07/19 21:39
fredjust

Post by fredjust »

Oh ! an error and in french, cool ;)

j\'aime bien qu\'on me parle francais

the score was corectly uploaded

It\'s my five lines game in OOC :woohoo:<br><br>Post edited by: fredjust, at: 2007/07/19 21:47
JohnVdC

Post by JohnVdC »

Herc wrote:whats your history regarding blockout? did you play the original DOS-version from 1989 ?
I got my first PC (or IBM compatible as they were called back then) in januari 1989. I think I discovered Blockout maybe a year or so later and it was the game I played most between 1990 and 1996 or so. The amount of times I must have played Blockout must be :blink:

I\'ve got a personal best of somewhere over 250K points (in Out Of Control, the only one that really matters) although I haven\'t been able to go anywhere near those scores for years now. I blame the fact that my PC got too fast although I suppose the truth is that I am getting a bit slower and I don\'t play enough anymore to instantly see where the next block should be going.

A few months back I dug up the game again but it stopped working properly on my machine, which is why I\'m so glad I found out about this project.

Kind regards,

John.<br><br>Post edited by: JohnVdC, at: 2007/07/19 21:49