Generic Application Error with new ATI drivers

Discuss about Blockout II from Jean-Luc, post your feature requests etc.
jlp_38

Re:Generic Application Error with new ATI drivers

Post by jlp_38 »

OK, new .exe and more info.
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

All the above are correct. I\'ve got same values on my config. Here I must say I can\'t do more.
All others parameters not shown on this windows are zero (params which are passed to IDirect3D8:CreateDevice()), you can submit a ticket to ATI with this screenshot , they should be able to fix the issue.
Herc

Post by Herc »

@skrzat: whats your graphics card model? just curious.
do all other directX games run properly?

@jeanluc: just an idea: how hard would it be to optionally allow to switch between directX and openGL ? i am very confident, that skrzat would be able to run in OpenGL mode. my personal experience is that openGL is much more forgiving and stable and backwards compatible.

maybe you should drop directX anyway, its not portable.. but thats just my personal dislike of some of the proprietary tech microsoft did.
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

Yes it can be done, in fact I already have the OpenGL/SDL version for win32. The main problem is that SDL does not use High-res timer so the gameplay suffer a bit from that from time to time.<br><br>Post edited by: jlp_38, at: 2008/01/20 22:09
Herc

Post by Herc »

i know - the timers in sdl are only 10ms precise if i remember right.

but i use my own timer simple highres timer class, see the attached file.

on www.gaffer.org there is also code to do highres timers under linux:

http://www.gaffer.org/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/

\"ok, under linux there are a few options for high res timers:

see http://pixeltoaster.googlecode.com/svn/ ... sterUnix.h

and look at the code for the &#8220;UnixTimer&#8221; class (two different techniques are presented)

both should give you good precision\"

so i thing its a good idea to move away from directx, use sdl+opengl +fixed timestep method + highrestimers :-) this would be really great!<br><br>Post edited by: Herc, at: 2008/01/20 22:27
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

Yes, you\'re right, OpenGL/SDL would be the best solution . However,
I\'m still wondering about high-res usage timer on Linux, is this
functionality well supported on various Linux distrib ? The high-res
timer code is present in SDL (for win32, if i remneber well) but it is
not used.
I\'ll check that... But there are other tasks that have a higher
priority.. I\'m working on them...<br><br>Post edited by: jlp_38, at: 2008/01/21 11:12
Herc

Post by Herc »

yeah - timing under linux is difficult, thats the reason the sdl-team removed their highrestimers from the source code some time ago - i remember some dinscussions on the sdl-mailing lists. but this was some years ago - maybe today it works better and more stable? if i remember right, it had to do something with dynamic cpu core frequency on laptops. maybe we should test gaffers code sometimes.
but you are right- this is just a minor problem - lets go for much greater things to come :-)
jlp_38

Post by jlp_38 »

OK, You have to download the 3 files and copy them in the BL2 install dir (This is only the 2.3 release)

BlockOut.exe
SDL.dll
SDL_mixer.dll

Hope this helps
Herc

Post by Herc »

@skrzat: great!
opengl seems to be simply much more stable ;-) especially with older graphics cards.
maybe you should consider buying a new graphics card.. i am considering to do so, too. radeon 9600 / 9550 is a nice card, but its getting old..

i am thinking about a ati 3850 ultimate - its very powerfull and best of all it is fanless - so its 0dB silent !! and its relatively cheap. just a tip in case you are thinking about a new card.